Friday, May 17, 2013

Why FALL in Love? When you can RISE in Love!


It was early winters of 2005 and a hazy hue was enveloping the city of New Delhi. Me and a close friend were engrossed in matters too grayish than the weather. His young son on the threshold of adulthood had come home to announce that he wanted to marry a girl of his choice studying in his college.

The hapless father tried reasoning, coaxing, threatening the young man who surprisingly showed a steely resolve and stood his ground. The devastated father could not accept the fact that the girl was from a different religion. He finally pleaded with me to counsel him. I took upon the task of understanding the young man's mind and started speaking to him about his views. I could sense that the young lad was very logical and intellect driven instead of being emotional. Suddenly an intuitive thought came over me; why not take him to Baba Iqbal Singh ji of Baru Sahib who has been my mentor, guide and spiritual father? And fortunately for me, he was in town.

I wound him around this thought and casually mentioned to him that I have to see Babaji and it would be great if he could accompany me for a few minutes. The boy agreed and we trundled in to The Kalgidhar Trust office where Babaji stayed put. After greetings, I introduced him to Babaji and asked for guidance for the young man.

Babaji took his face in both of his hands and with deep boring eyes lovingly asked the boy "das kaka teri ki pareshani hai" (tell me kid what is troubling you?).

The boy replied "I have fallen in love with a girl and wish to marry her and I do not wish to change my mind". The next response from Babaji hit me so hard with its profoundness that I have it etched in my mind indelibly.

Babaji looked into his eyes and said "Why do you FALL in Love? When you can RISE in Love!". The young man looked perplexed. "Fall is a negative term and implies vulnerability or trap. What you call is Love is sheer Infatuation. You can only RISE in Love with the Divine or Almighty" Babaji added. "You are highly educated, go back and think whether it is infatuation, attachment or Love? If Love is pure then why do you FALL in Love? Learn to RISE in unconditional Love and that can happen only with the omnipresent Almighty. Nobody else" Babaji picked himself up to walk back.

I was left speechless and illuminated about one more facet of life which was beautifully put across by Babaji in simple words.




1 comment: